Jane has loved reading and writing since she can remember. She writes dark and disturbing crime/mystery/suspense with some romance thrown in because, well, who doesn’t love romance?! She has several series including the complete Detective Parker Bell series, the Count to Ten series, the Christmas Romantic Suspense series, and the Flashes of Fate series of novelettes.
When she’s not writing Jane loves to read, bake, go to the beach, ski, horse ride, and watch Disney movies. She has a black belt in Taekwondo, a 200+ collection of teddy bears, and her favorite color is pink. She has the world’s two most sweet and pretty Dalmatians, Ivory and Pearl. Oh, and she also enjoys spending time with family and friends!
You can find Jane at any of the following social media:
1. What made you want to become an author? I have always loved reading and writing, as a little kid I used to be terrified of nightmares and so afraid to go to sleep and I used to make up little stories in my head to distract myself from my fears until I would fall asleep. As I got older I still enjoyed making up stories so started writing them down, then after several years of that I decided why not take the leap and actually write a book to publish. Now I cannot imagine not writing books, I just love it so much, and would do it even if no one ever read what I wrote, although it is such a thrill when someone tells me they enjoyed one of my books!!
2. Do you have a playlist that you listen to when writing? Okay, so I’m actually a weird person who doesn’t like music!! 😐 (Angie: Not like music?! *gasp*)
3. What made you chose to write in such a dark and gritty genre? I’m not sure, I’ve always just liked darker stories, even as a kid it was what I loved to read. I think my two biggest things I love about crime/suspense/thriller reads are 1. when the main character is rescued, I just love that feeling of the fact they were saved after battling through something terrible, and 2. I love delving into the psychological side of why someone would want to hurt others, I’ve always been fascinated by psychology and why people do what they do, and I love that I can incorporate that into my writing or read it in other peoples stories!
4. Do you start writing from the beginning straight through the end or do you write whatever comes to mind? I am a total and complete over the top organised planner and writer! 😄
I have a super detailed system for my planning, and then when I start writing I work through from beginning to end. I even have to do the same with a series, if I have some great ideas for a later book I don’t let myself start it until I’ve finished whatever is the next one in the series. I do however write down LOTS of notes, whenever I have an idea it goes straight into that series document so I don’t forget!
5. What do you do if you hit a stumbling block? If its a really bad stumbling block I will set the book away for a while. One actually got started and scrapped four times before I got the finished product, and at the moment I’m writing Seven and I had to set it aside for over a year after trying out about three different storylines before I found something that I was happy with. If its only a minor stumbling block then I work through it. I write a minimum of one scene a day, because I find if I get out of my schedule then its really hard to get back into it, so if I’m struggling with a scene it still must get done that day, it can always get fixed up in editing!
6. What is your favorite Disney movie? As a huge Disney fan that is a super hard question!! I love all the princess movies the best, and my favourite would have to be Beauty and the Beast, but I love them all so much!! 😍
7. Who (or what) inspires you? Other authors who write in my genres who write the most amazing books that draw me in and make me feel like I really know the characters and am a part of their world!!
8. Are you a fly by the seat of your pants writer or do you plot first? I’m a planner!!
My system is I write the story in 50 words or less, this makes me REALLY have to know exactly what my story is about! Then I write the story again in about 250 words, this helps me to know what the secondary parts of the story are. Then I plot out the book scene by scene so I can work on pacing, and since I write crime books making sure I space out the reveals of bits of pertinent information so I can hopefully avoid information dumps!! My scene by scene plotting usually has lots of notes beside it of exactly what will happen in the scene. My detailed planning really helps me avoid major editing because I can pick up anything that isn’t working before I get to it, most of the time at least!
9. Who are your favorite authors? I have a lot!! Some of them are Allison Brennan, Karen Rose, Kendra Elliot, Melinda Leigh, Pepper Winters, JL Drake, Michelle Horst, and so many many more!! And I’m always looking for new authors to add to my one click list!!
10. What is your favorite TV show? I don’t have a single favourite but I love most crime shows, Criminal Minds, I used to love the CSI franchise, Law and Order SVU, American Horror Story, plus I enjoy a few lighter shows, Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends were two of my favourites, and I still love Full House which was my favourite show when I was a kid!!